Road accidents can cause injuries such as whiplash, which may not result in an immediate complication, but can cause chronic issues in daily tasks and performance. Untreated or delayed in treating whiplash can lead to chronic inflammation, disability, and pain in the shoulders and neck.
In this guide, we will explore whiplash and its associated side effects, as well as how Healing Hands can help treat the injury.
What is whiplash?
Whiplash is generally caused when there is a sudden deceleration-acceleration force. It is especially common in situations such as road accidents, resulting in the neck and head being rocked back and forth rapidly. This violent motion can stretch neck ligaments and muscles beyond their typical range, causing injury that reduces mobility and creates stiffness and pain.
Other symptoms associated with whiplash can have varying severity and include difficulty in concentrating and sleeping, reduced memory, fatigue, dizziness, and headaches. While road accidents are a common cause of whiplash, other situations, such as sports injuries, physical assault, and also amusement park rides such as roller coasters can cause it.
Whiplash is typically categorised into five key grades, depending on the severity:
- Grade 0: No signs of physical injury and neck pain
- Grade 1:No signs of physical injury but has slight complaints of tenderness, stiffness, or pain in the neck
- Grade 2:Signs of musculoskeletal injury, such as point tenderness and reduced range of motion around the neck
- Grade 3:Signs of neurological injury, such as sensory deficits, weakness, or decreased or absent deep tendon reflexes around the neck
- Grade 4:Dislocation or fracture of the spine
Whiplash-related side effects
Depending on the severity of the injury, the side effects may vary. However, some of the common signs and symptoms include the following:
- Neck stiffness, numbness, and pain: The forceful and rapid rocking of the neck and head can damage the neck’s ligaments, tendons, and muscles beyond the typical range of motion. This causes tiny tissues and muscles in the affected region to tear, causing inflammation, swelling, and pain.
- Back and shoulder pain:Our back and shoulders are connected to our neck and head. Hence, when whiplash happens, it causes our muscles in these areas to spasm or strain. Hence, an injury in one area can often lead to symptoms in adjacent areas, including the vertebrae in other parts of the spine being misaligned.
- Headaches:They are common symptoms due to the damage to the neck and head’s ligaments, tendons, and muscles.
- Numbness and pain in the arms:The nerves in our neck controls the arm movement and sensation. Hence, if our neck is injured by whiplash, our arms may also be affected by the damage.
- Vision and dizziness issues:Whiplash can result in the damage to our brain’s visual centres, causing dizziness and balancing issues. Additionally, it can irritate the nerves in our neck that support vision and eye movements.
There are other side effects, such as difficulty falling asleep, irritability, tinnitus, memory and focus issues, and mood swings, that are associated with whiplash-related injuries.
How chiropractic care can treat whiplash
Chiropractic adjustments help treat and manage your neuromusculoskeletal system. With whiplash, the chiropractor will assess your experienced symptoms, conducting a physical examination to find the root of your discomfort and pain. Afterwards, they will come up with a customised treatment plan to fix the issue. This may involve various postural and ergonomic assessments, manual adjustments of your body, stretching and strengthening exercises, as well as lifestyle advice.
Studies have proven that 93% of whiplash-related patients that undergo chiropractic care experience extreme improvement in the side effects and are twice as likely to fully recover in comparison to patients who go for typical medical care.
If you have symptoms of whiplash, do not hesitate to reach our chiropractors at Healing Hands. With many years of experience, our chiropractors provide an extensive range of chiropractic services, such as frozen shoulder treatments and knee pain treatments. For more information, head over to https://healinghands.com.sg/ to find out more today!